As a wedding photographer I meet a lot of couples who are preparing to get married and most of them have the same worries. Sentences like “we don’t want traditional pictures“ or “we hate having our pictures taken“ I hear a lot. They all come back to posing.
to pose (verb) – assume a particular position in order to be photographed, painted, or drawn.
If you are a professional model you don’t assume a pose, you know how to pose. But let’s face it, 98% of us don’t know how to pose and that is totally ok. “Why is that ok, our pictures will be cr@p!” No they won’t. Because I will tell you all you need to know!
That is the essence of my wedding portraits – that I will take you by the hand and tell you exactly what to do. And that does not include standing stiff smiling at the camera for minutes at a time.
So how do I pose my couples? Easy, here are my 5 easy recipes:
1) I step away. Leave you alone, in a beautiful little clearing, amongst mother nature. And then I photograph you with a long zoom lens. It doesn’t even hurt.
2) I find features that frame you, like an arch or an entrance. This always looks good. All you do is gaze at each other in amazement.
3) I ask you silly questions that make you interact with each other and forget about my camera. “Tell me your favourite moment of the day” or “How do you feel right now?”
4) Once you have warmed up to this process I get my portrait lens out and get a little close.
5) And finally: Have fun – jump, dance, kiss, hug your friends. It’s your day and it’s special!
My method is easy: make sure you enjoy the day – you will look happy on your photographs. Delegate all duties before the day – you will look more relaxed. And don’t worry about your photographer too much. Then you will achieve natural, relaxed and genuine photographs that you will hopefully cherish for many years to come.
If you are getting married in Bath or anywhere else and you are still looking for a photographer to create a mixture of natural reportage photographs mixed with creative portraits then I would love to hear from you. You can call me on 07984 029 639, email me or fill in my simple & easy contact form.
Copyright © Betty Bhandari